Tuesday, April 24, 2012

B is for Baby Bia's Baby Shower

This past Sunday 6 girls (including myself) threw my best friend her baby shower at my house.  AND IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!  I am going to brag a little, but share some fun things we did too! 

First - Luz does not like flowers!  AHHHHHH!!!  All showers have flowers!  So on went the thinking caps!  Luz is a school teacher and so I thought, well children's books would be a nice touch for the center pieces.  Lilia then added in the little girl's shoes.  =)  So children's books and little girls shoes it was!  I wanted to create some height in the centerpieces, so I covered some small boxes with grey fabric and that worked perfect.  Luz's colors are grey and purple - so was the shower!  Also, on the table we pre-set mason jars with purple straws for the drinks and grey napkins.  The napkins were accompanied with teething rings and pacifiers.  All of these items were gifted to Luz after - so really, prob. better than flowers that would just be thrown away afterwards.  Oh yeah, I added in baby bottles with the taco sauces and some candles.  Here are some pics of the tables. 





We set all tables generally next to each other.  People want to be close to others, not secluded.  I wish I could have set everyone in the shade, but my back yard did not allow it.  If possible, that is the way to go.  We lucked out with a nice breeze, so everything was perfect!  I ordered table cloths that only went 1/2 way to the ground - this creates a more casual setting, full length cloths are usually used for more formal events. 

For our food, Luz loves this taco place in Fort Worth called Taco Heads.  Its actually a food truck, but they do cater as well.  They were set up in the shade on our deck and it was great!!!  This was a huge hit!  Here is their website/fb and some pictures.  Taco Head's facebook page



I mentioned this above, but we put the taco sauces in baby bottles on the tables.  I had to cut off the nipples b/c the sauces were thicker, but this was so cute!


We added in some food items - chips, queso, fruit, purple drinks, water, purple popcorn and of course cake, which I will get into later.  It was perfect and everyone was beyond stuffed!  We held the shower at 1pm, so it was really important we fed everyone.


Here is a pic of the yummy tacos!  We had pork and chicken to choose from.  Plus cilantro, onion, pico de gallo and cheese!  SO SO GOOD!


Karen did a great job with all of the games!!!  We played 3 or 4 (can't even remember) and everyone won prizes.  My fav. was the one we had to put a diaper on a cabbage patch doll with a partner only using 1 hand each.  HAHA!  Good times!  I didn't win any of the games, but still fun.  Luz enjoyed them too!

The cake!  It turned out great and Lesha did a great job!!!!!!!  And Scott too.... hehe.  Luz loves taking showers now that she is preggers and plus this was a "baby shower!"  So check out the cake!!!!!  Blue Bonnet Bakery made the tub part and everything else Lesha added in.  SO SO CUTE!  And unique too!!!!  Lilia found the idea and Lesha ran with it - AWESOME JOB!  The base was purple, but kinda looks black in this photo.  We did the cake indoors, so no worries about it melting, etc.  It was nice to get inside in the cool for a short period of time too.  I used my late Mamaw's cake serving plates and forks, so that was special for me.  Real plates and silverware always makes everything so much nicer than plastic - but I def. have used both - don't get me wrong!  It totally depends on your event and how many people you are serving, I do get that!


Party favors - this was Izzy's part.  She did take away sugar cookies that were awesome!!!  So cute and very yum!  We set these by the door for everyone to grab on their way out. 


There were so many other special touches - diaper wreath on the door, thumb print on a matted picture of Luz, diaper cakes, etc.  But we really kept Luz in mind the whole time and she loved everything!  We were all very happy with all of it and SO WAS SHE!!!!!!!

This was the first shower I have held in my house - I felt it was a success!!!  Thank you again to the hostesses!  Love yall!  -Izzy, Karen, Mom, Lesha, Lilia-  I def. can't take all the credit here!  And to my hubs, KeeNasty for helping clean up the yard and pool - he made it look so nice!  =)

I hope you enjoyed this post - we had so much fun doing this for my bia bia!!!!  =))