Thursday, January 26, 2012

B is for Ryan BINGHAM

I know most of you who have been following my blog have noticed the whole "B" theme and so now in my daily life I think of things that start with "B" that I would like to blog about.  This blog is one of the first "B's" I thought about!  Ryan Bingham is one of my all time favorite musicians... EVER!  I am a total music junkie and like lots of different kinds of music, but Ryan Bingham is just a bad ass, plain and simple.   
Currently, RB has no tour dates scheduled, but he will likely head to Funky Town when he does tour - fingers crossed, anyways!  Here is a pic last time he was in FW.  AHHHH!!  SO GOOD!


So here is some history on Ryan Bingham - yes, I did some research - I don't just have these facts coming out of my .... well, head I guess.....
  • BIGGEST AND COOLEST ACCOMPLISHMENT -
  • Ryan Bingham collaborated with Grammy-winning producer T Bone Burnett on the soundtrack for the 2009 acclaimed film Crazy Heart, including notably co-penning & performing the film’s award-winning theme song "The Weary Kind". The title track earned Bingham an Academy Award, Golden Globe Award, and Critics' Choice Award for “Best Song” in 2010,as well as a Grammy Award for "Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media" in 2011.  As a result of his monumental year, the Americana Music Association honored Bingham with the organization's top award in 2010: “Artist of the Year”.
  • He has released 3 albums - Mescalito (2007), Roadhouse Sun (2009) and Junky Star (2010) - my favorite is his first, Mescalito.  Check it out here - Mescalito
  • Ryan Bingham was born in Hobbs, NM and grew up in Texas. He currently lives in Los Angeles, CA.  I really wouldn't consider him "TX Country" - but it is cool he grew up in TX though!!!  REPRESENT!
  • Texas Music Magazine stated that "Bingham talks and sings with a whiskey-and-cigarette throat that screams hard living. Hard in a way that can make a 29-year-old sound like a 50-year-old."  He has such a cool voice - very raspy and different.  One of the main reasons I like him so much!
  • Wikipedia refers to his genre as "rock"
  • Ryan Bingham joined back up with his band The Dead Horses to release their third studio album Junky Star on August 31, 2010. The album debuted in the Top 20 on the Billboard 200 Chart & in the Top 10 on the Billboard Rock Album Chart, making Junky Star Bingham’s highest charting & most successful release to date.
Like that piping on that shirt - just saying!
Here are some of my favorite lyrics from some of RB's songs (he writes all of his songs - which is rare these days):
Ever Wonder Why ((Keeton's fav))
Everybody's troubled with the hustle and the bustle
The payment on the house is late
If I ever have a problem like that
I guess I'll be in pretty good shape

Hard Times ((sidenote- I think we can all relate with this one!  Looking for someone to blame - when the problem is really your own)) 
When I was young my daddy said, Son
Never be ashamed of where your from
There's nothin wrong with your last name
Don't be lookin for people to blame

Bread and Water
I've been to California and North Carolina,
Hung with the hippies in Austin and the cowboys of Mexico.
I've laid up in Fort Worth with beautiful ladies,
Hitch hiked on down 281 and hit the rodeo in San Anton...
In the back of a Ranchero, I rode down to Laredo,
Had a good time at the la posada, yea you know I was left alone.
On a rig out of El Paso, rainin' down in Houston,
Told the truck driver put the pedal to the metal cause Houston gets me down.
On down to Louisiana, Whiskey River Landing,
Crawfish pie and eat jambalaya with a big ole coon ass smile

Alot of his lyrics are pretty low and almost depressing, but I still love them - not like they all speak to me or anything!  HA!  But he does state this at the end of one of his songs and I like it alot:
And I hope everybody had a real good time
I hope I didn't bring you down
These ain't sad songs
So don't take 'em wrong

And lastly, I will leave you with a video CNN just posted about him.  He talks about developing his musical style and his unique, scratchy voice.  If CNN is talking about you - you must be pretty awesome!